Monday, May 10, 2021

Harmony is for Everyone

Like a good amateur journalist, I'm giving you the most crucial thing first... This link.
This is one of the greatest barbershop quartets of all time.
"But, Michael, I thought barbershop quartets were men."
Not always, dear reader. In fact, often not.

Sandi Wright herself once graced me with the chance to sing the tag (what's a "tag"? see previous blog post, Harmonizing the World: The First Falling Pebbles) from this song. I cherish this memory!

Wherever you are on the gender spectrum, barbershop is for you.

But, I'll be frank; I didn't always enjoy women's quartets. My only saving grace is that my mind was open enough to receive new data to change my mind. Four years ago, I got to watch a master barbershop coach work with The Ladies. Beautiful sound. Fabulously cohesive group. They opened my eyes and my heart to women's barbershop. They even inspired me to write a tag specifically in a key for "women's" (in the loose sense of the word; gender is a spectrum, of course) voices. It's called "Bittersweetness". I should probably try to generate a Spanish version now, too, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment