Saturday, June 18, 2022

Acceptance

I have accepted a fulltime GED-teaching position at an adult education center. This was a difficult decision.

Dear Reader, I likely don't have to tell you how nuanced this decision was, the aspects it involved: the soul-searching (inasmuch as a "soul" may or may not be a real thing), the discernment, the contemplation of sacrifice. Still, in case you're curious, I shall say on.

I'm using my degrees???

I hold a dual bachelor's in fine arts in Speech (communication) and Music Performance. I hold a master's in Adult Learning & Leadership. I've toiled in the workforce for well north of a decade since my first college graduation, and this is the first time I'm working a fulltime job that will make use of the things I went to school for. Many have observed/asserted that humans grow accustomed to whatever condition they exist in, even if it's negative. I'm not sure if I have ever been at rest in such a state, but I've definitely been making my such-as-it-has-been "living" in jobs that couldn't use everything I was good at. I've held part-time and volunteer positions (tutoring, substituting, musical directing) that do make use of the college-knowledge, but it's never been a fulltime gig.

Why wasn't this a no-brainer?

Sacrifice.

The hours that my job asked me to pick up in order to be fulltime include (in addition to regularly teaching M-R mornings) are Monday and Wednesday evenings. I have no problem doing things I like to do in the evenings, even if it's a job; the problem is that working Monday evenings means sacrificing singing in the community chorus (which provides additional opportunities via connections) and, hardest of all, probably means sacrificing playing my baritone horn in the community wind ensemble. Playing in this summer band has been one of the greatest joys of my adult life. Granted, I still own the horn and can theoretically play it on my own or with gaggles of friends I might be able to rustle from time to time, but the ensemble experience may be gone from my life for a time. In an effort to not be too paranoid, there might be ways for me to still play in the concert. This is TBD.

Acceptance

In the end, I believe all decisions should be made with the head (logic, reason, & evidence) and the gut (instincts, intuition). The heart gets to make its appeal, but it does not get a vote. Fear of consequence is no good hindrance for making a decision that feels right. I discerned that the financial advantages of accepting the full-time job could allow me to create my own opportunities to do what I love to do. This move ain't gonna make me no rich man, but it's going to make life slightly easier. My gut tells me to bet on myself. Also, the joys of doing what I'm wired to do should offset the sadness of sacrifice.

My name is Michael Tate. I'm a fulltime teacher now.

No comments:

Post a Comment